10 Best Family Travel Destinations
The Best Places to Travel with Kids
Here are the top 10 best family travel destinations -they span the
globe and there is something for everyone, be it sun and surf, nature
and wildlife or the urban jungle.
With 23 Disney theme parks worldwide you could choose the one closest to home as they are all pretty much the same, but the granddaddy of them all is in Orlando, Florida.
Not only the Disney World Park but also a number of other theme parks close by will keep kids busy as long as you want to stay for example there is Sea World.
Apart from that the entire city is geared towards family vacation entertainment. Read more about Florida with kids here.
One of the best family travel destinations is Hawaii! The kid-friendly beaches in Hawaii and specifically Honolulu are just the beginning of attractions for families in Hawaii.
There are numerous water activities including whale watching, snorkeling and swimming with dolphins. When away from the beaches there are the volcanoes, waterfalls and mountains to explore as well as the laid back and friendly culture.
A sure hit as a family travel destination! Read more about Hawaii family trips here.
3. Belize City, Belize
Kids can explore the Mayan Temples
in Xunantunich, go zip lining or cave tubing in the Ambergris Caye Cave,
visit the Tikal ruins, ride through the jungle on horseback, see
waterfalls and go hiking or take a cruise.
You can also base yourself in
Belize City and take day tours to places like Bermudian Landing to see
the monkeys and rainforest.
There are also opportunities to swim,
take boat trips and snorkel. The surrounding areas of Belize City are
mostly protected nature reserves and there are plenty of adventurous
activities organized by tour companies. Read more about Belize.
Galapagos Islands -Take your kids on a Galapagos cruise around the islands, they'll spend the day swimming, is the cleanest water they've ever seen, walking on pure white sand and snorkeling to see this untouched paradise. This may suit older kids more and kids who take conservation and animal life seriously, don't take kids here if they really prefer urban holidays. If not a cruise then base yourselves in Santa Cruz and do short day tours of the natural wonders that surround you. Kids will also be able to ride horses, get up close with marine animals and learn a lot about conservation. A family travel destination everyone will talk about forever!
- Atlantis Resort, Caribbean - Combine lazing on the beach, swimming in crystal clear water and non-stop entertainment for the kids. Although you may find many kid-friendly resorts and cruises in the Caribbean this is the biggest and best.
- Kids can swim with dolphins, spend hours in the water parks like Aquaventure, play in the arcades, climb the rock walls and learn about the marine life in the area. The Dig exposes kids to the legend of Atlantis, in Ruins Lagoon they can dive to underwater shipwrecks and also visit Predator Lagoon. All within the Atlantis Resort Complex. Read more about the Bahamas
- Zanzibar, Tanzania -Although there are certain precautions (like Malaria shots) that need to be taken when visiting Africa with kids this is a country centered around the family and the people are welcoming and friendly.All kids love animals and here they can take a safari and see the big 5 as well as plenty of other African wildlife in their natural habitat. Also in Zanzibar is the beach and sea activities, take a boat excursion, do some fishing, swimming or snorkeling. There are also several zoos like the Zanzibar Park or the Zala Park, a butterfly center and a monkey forest. In Stone Town see the Marahubi Palace, the Old Fort and the Palace Museum. One of the coolest family travel destinations!
- Cape Town, South Africa -The breathtaking natural surroundings of Cape Town together with the crystal clear sea and sandy white beaches make this a top destination for families.There is plenty to do like taking the cable car to the top of Table Mountain, take a boat excursion out to visit a colony of seals, swim with penguins in their natural habitat and explore this multi-cultural cosmopolitan city. There are the usual urban distractions for kids as well like bowling, IMAX theatres, parks, malls, museums and video arcades. Also check out the fisherman's Warf area. Read more here.
- Stockholm, Sweden -Stockholm is geared towards children in many ways, they will love the boat trips on the sea, the huge ship inside the Vasa Museum and the Pippi Longstocking theme park.Also the Skansen open-air museum has traditional houses from around Sweden gathered in a park where the staff wear period costume and demonstrate traditional crafts, there is also a small zoo. Also in Stockholm is the Aquaria Water Museum, the Kungliga Djurgarden parkland island, Grona Lund amusement park and eventhe city hall is like a giant palace.
- Lapland -Whether you choose to visit Lapland in northern Norway, Sweden or Finland you should go in winter when there are tons of snow and ice activities. Let the kids try cross country skiing, tobogganing, riding arctic horses through the night, ice fishing see the Northern Lights, dog sled riding and a snow mobile safari.Kids can also feed reindeer, meet the indigenous Sami people and learn about their culture and also just play in the snow. There are several Sami festivals which include reindeer races, markets and lasso competitions as well as ice and snow festivals when giant ice sculptures are on display.If you go to Finland make your first stop the home of Santa in Santa Village, Rovaniemi. Definitely one of the best family travel destinations! Read more about Finland with Kids
New York -Not every family is in to beaches or nature some are city folk and New York is the biggest and best for an urban family vacation.
Take in a production of "The Lion King" on Broadway, take a ferry ride (or several) to Liberty Island, visit the iconic Coney Island Luna Park, play in Central Park and shop 'til you drop at FAO Schwarz toy store. You can give the kids some thrills at Madame Tussauds Wax Museum, the Empire State Building or visit the Top of the Rock then take them to the New York Zoo.
You won't run out of things to do with kids in the Big Apple. Read more about New York City with Kids here.
Family Travel Destinations
Return to Top of Page