Things to do in Sri Lanka with Kids
2018 Family Travel Guide- Sri Lanka
Looking for fun things to do in Sri Lanka with kids? Children are very important in the Sri Lankan culture and you will find kids are treated with respect and courtesy wherever you go. There is also plenty for the young ones to see and do especially if they enjoy the outdoors and nature.
Don't forget to check out these great Hotels in Sri Lanka.
Also don't miss out on the delicious cuisine of Sri Lanka!
- Udawalawa Elephant Orphanage -First opened in 1975 the site is home to baby elephants who have been orphaned, it is the largest captive herd of elephants in the world. Kids can watch the babies getting washed and fed.
- Dambulla Rock Temple -Kids will love the cave temple with its mystical frescoes and natural springs, weave them a tale of the history of the place and how monks stayed here 2000 years ago.
- Tea Plantation -Let the young ones learn where tea comes from by seeing it with their own eyes. They will see the hand-picked leaves turned into the tea they are familiar with when they visit a Tea Plantation Factory.
- Train Ride -Take a train ride through the hills near Columbus from Nuwera Eliya to Ella, the children can see the natural countryside and small villages pass by while experiencing a rural train ride. When the train stops at stations along the way vendors jump on board to sell snacks, fruit and drinks. A cool thing to do in Sri Lanka.
Get your Downloadable Sri Lanka Travel Guide for Kids
Cultural Activities + Word Searches + Colouring Pages + Fun Travel Quizzes & More!
More Things to Do in Sri Lanka
- Air force Museum -The museum is on the Ratmalana Air Force base and you can see all manner of aircrafts from an Air Ceylon passenger plane to the modern fighter jets. There is a playground with airforce themed slides, a tea-room selling ice creams and on some Saturdays you can see the pilots taking the planes out for test flights. This is one of the best things to do in Sri Lanka!
- Turtle Hatchery -In Kosgoda near Galle the hatchery protects and nurtures the turtles which are often victim to poachers looking for their eggs. Kids can see the creatures from egg to adult and all the stages in between. Kids love this of all the things to do in Sri Lanka!
- Spice Garden Tour -Take a tour of a spice garden between Dumbulla and Kandy, the children can smell and taste flavors they know and others they have never experienced before. This is both educational and fascinating.
- Beach -A trip to Sri Lanka with kids would not be
complete without a few hours spent on the beach and you have many to
choose from. There are beaches where you can snorkel and safely let the
kids play in the shallow water and others where the water is rougher
like Tangalle beach. Negombo, Unwatuna, Lucky Tuna and Mirissa are beach
resorts popular with families.
- Wildlife National Parks -Take
the kids to one of Sri Lanka's incredible park reserves there is
Willpattu National Park with leopards, water buffalo and other wild life
as well as wild jungles and peaceful lakes. There are also Minneriya
National Reserve, Kaudulla National Reserve and Yale National Park. A
great thing to do in Sri Lanka!
- Polonnaruwa- an ancient heritage site that is very rich in history and culture. The kids will enjoy running around freely in this place. They will feel like they are rulers themselves and could play pretend that they own the entire kingdom.
- Fishing-let your kids experience fishing the way the locals in Sri Lanka do. Traditionally, fishermen in this country would perch on stilts to trap the fishes. There is a small bench attached to the poles, and this is where the fishermen would sit or balance themselves.
- Ancient fort of Galle-this is a UNESCO World Heritage site. It was originally built by the Portuguese, and then enhanced by the Dutch. You kids can walk or run around the quaint streets of the fort as they pass through old houses and churches. There are also a few art galleries and restaurants at the fort.
- Little Adam’s Peak-this is a friendly trek for kids, even when it is the highest summit in the country. They could get a bird’s eye view of Sri Lanka including the Ruwana Falls. One of the most beautiful things to do in Sri Lanka!
- The Big Blue-Hop on a boat in Galle or Mirissa and give your kids the chance to see a big blue whale. Other than the big blue whale, there are several other mammals found in the waters of Sri Lanka.
- Excel World-It is an amusement park located in Colombo. There are several kiddie rides for kids under 5 years old. They also have a bowling alley, a climbing wall, a games arcade, and an indoor go-kart track. Compared to amusement parks in other developed countries, Excel World is not that advanced yet. However, if you are looking for an activity that you kids will nonetheless enjoy, paying this amusement park a visit would be perfect.
- Dehiwela Zoo-If your kids like wildlife, you may want to visit this place. They also have elephant dancing shows everyday, which you and your kids might want to see.
- Watch a Cricket Game-Cricket is the most popular sport in the country. There is no doubt that Sri Lankans are good at playing this sport. Sri Lanka has been a host to international cricket games since it has a few of the best test grounds around the world.
- Lion’s Rock-It is a UNESCO World Heritage Site. It is a mythical ancient rock fortress which is rich in history and culture. To get to the top of the Lion’s Rock, you must go through a series of zigzagging stairs. From above, you will get a bird’s eye view of the central province.
- Kingdom of Kandy-Kandy is the capital of the hill country and the cultural capital of Sri Lanka. It is a small town surrounded by a jungle and blessed with a lake in the middle. If your child is also the type who appreciates great architecture, this is the place to go to. Kandy boasts of being home to Sri Lanka’s most important Buddhist relic, the tooth of the Buddha, which is housed in the Golden Temple of the Sacred Tooth and kept in a golden casket shaped like a stupa.
- Learn to surf-Sri Lanka is one of the countries to go to if you and your kids want to learn how to surf. It has beginner-friendly waves, which would be perfect for even youngsters. There are even plenty of surf schools that offer surfing packages for affordable rates. This one of the cool things to do in Sri Lanka with teens!
What are your favourite things to do in Sri Lanka?
Visit the Sri Lanka Tourist board here!
More Travel Ideas
Return to Top of Page