10 Cool Things to Do In Oahu with Kids
Are you looking for the best things to do in Oahu with kids? If you’re ever tempted to arrange a family get-together, you should consider Oahu, Hawaii as the venue.
Also known as “The Gathering Place” this particular holiday destination is a family-friendly resort, which offers many varied events and activities.
As with a lot of holiday destinations, there are helicopter tours, and whale-watching cruises by catamaran, however, if you want to arrange some more affordable activities for the family, then Oahu has some extraordinary experiences for your whole brood to enjoy.
Buy this travel guide for your kids now! Learn more about Hawaii!
Cultural activities + games + travel quizzes + coloring and much more
More Things to do in Hawaii with Kids
10 Free Things to do in Oahu Hawaii with Kids
- Sunday is a great day to visit Kapiolani Park in Waikiki, where you can listen to the Royal Hawaiian Band play between 2.00 and 3.00pm. You might want to make a day of your visit to the park and spend some time flying kites or having a picnic. The park often has soccer games as well as craft fairs and music for all to enjoy.
- There are more than 100 festivals and events held throughout the year in Oahu to celebrate culture, music, community; even a Hawaiian rodeo! If you time your visit with one of these events, you are sure to have some fantastic memories.
- The Children’s Discovery Center is free admission if you have a Go Oahu card, otherwise it costs $10 to enter and is perfect for a few hours’ entertainment. The center is a museum focused on children and allows them to discover and explore the world around them through the medium of play. With different zones that cater to various age groups, there is bound to be something that your child will love!
- Outside Honolulu Zoo is the AT&T Hawaii's Wildest Show series of shows and concerts which is held every week between July and August.
- If you want your holiday to go with a bang, you might consider visiting the Hilton Hawaiian Village Waikiki Beach Resort to celebrate Aloha Friday's with the "Rockin' Hawaiian Rainbow Revue
- Why not spend an evening on the Oahu beaches? Watch as Kapahulu Pier becomes an outdoor movie theater, complete with food booths, live entertainment and free movies direct from Hollywood!
- If you’re visiting in April, you have to see the International Bed Race Festival; as a host of entrants race decorated beds down Kalakaua Avenue. With food and entertainment available on the street – why not gamble between you as to who is going to win and the winner gets to choose the next day’s activity?
- If you love aquariums, why not visit the Oceanarium Restaurant at Pacific Beach Hotel? Holding hundreds of Hawaii’s tropical fish, this restaurant boasts a three-story saltwater fish tank! Read about other great aquariums worldwide here!
- Sandcastles are always fun to build, especially if there’s a prize for the best one! However, instead of building one yourself, why not watch the University of Manoa’s architect students build their incredible designs in February?
- No trip to Oahu Hawaii is complete without visiting a luau, so why miss out? You can watch a traditional torch lighting ceremony and hula performance on the beach of Waikiki at sunset, near the Duke Kahanamoku statue. This is one of the best things to do in Oahu!
Other Amazing Things to do in Oahu with Kids
There are some really amazing paid activities available on Oahu too and you might want to use some of the money you’ve saved by enjoying the above activities by splashing out on one or two of those listed below:
- Sea Life Park – a 62 acre ocean theme park.
- USS Arizona National Memorial – visiting this exhibit is like a walk through history as the family will see where World War II started for the USA.
- Waikiki Aquarium – located next to a living reef on the shoreline.
- Atlantis Submarine Tour – this is a fantastic opportunity to explore under the sea without getting wet!
- Kualoa Ranch and the Ka’a’awa Valley of Oahu – stunning historic scenery as well as the filming location of ABC’s Lost.
- Dole Plantation – the famous Pineapple Garden Maze holds the Guinness world record for the largest maze! Read more here.
- Wet’n’Wild Water Park – is increasingly popular, offering more than 25 rides and attractions for families and thrill-seekers alike!
- Wild Side Specialty Tours – offers cruise trips for families! Cruises are recommended for 7 and above but Wild Side is happy to welcome families with kids of all ages. Encounters with dolphins and sea turtles are very likely and you might get the opportunity to swim with them too!
Plan on staying for a while as there are lots of great things to do in Oahu with kids! A family vacation paradise!
Check out these other Hawaii pages:
Return to Top of Page