FREE printable luggage tags for the kids when you sign up for our newsletter! Plus we share our best travel tips!
15 Fun Things To Do In Hong Kong with Kids
Are you ready for you trip to Hong Kong with kids?
- Hong Kong Disneyland is one of the most magical things to do in Hong Kong with kids. The park is quite small in comparison to the US parks, so you won't need more than a day or two here. Imagine seeing Mickey Mouse in the flesh and having your photo with him! Your kids will be thrilled with the range of rides such as the tea cup ride, jungle boat ride and space mountain. Disneyland park is best suited for children under 12 as most rides are for younger kids. Enjoy watching the magnificent shows and the spectacular firework display that that light up the sky at night. Read more here.
- Don't miss out on a visit to The Peak which is one of the most popular Hong Kong attractions. The steep ride up the mountain on the Peak Tram really is a thrill! At the top you will have breathtaking views of the Hong Kong skyline but more importantly your kids will spot the Madam Tussaud's museum and beg you to have their hand cast in wax! (try bring that home in your case without breaking it lol!) If you have a chance to go in the nearly evening I highly it as seeing Hong Kong all lit up is something you'll never forget! There is lots to do at The Peak including playing in the park at the top, restaurants, shops and more. Try to save this for a clear day to get the best views. Read more here.
- Children will get a kick out of the Central Mid-Level Escalators which at 800 meters are the longest outdoor covered escalator system. There are 20 escalators and 3 moving sidewalks. There are lots of shops and restaurants to explore at various points along the way too so don't feel you have to do it in one shot! The ride is downhill from 6-10 am and uphill from 10am-midnight. Avoid rush hour! This attraction is not stroller friendly so bring the baby carrier if you are traveling with babies or toddlers. Get ready to get your fitbit steps in!
- Your budding astronomers will enjoy a visit to the Hong Kong Space Museum. This is a great spot for children as the exhibits are interactive and there is a model space shuttle cockpit. If you need some chill time there is also an egg shaped dome theater where the kids can lie down and look up at the stars on the screen- very relaxing. There is also an Imax theater which shows some English movies and are pretty cool! The Space Museum was renovated in 2015 so it is pretty awesome at the moment!
No one comes to Hong Kong with kids and misses Ocean Park! It's one of the best attractions for kids. This park has
lots of rides for young children as well as thrill rides for your older
kids and teenagers. There are lots of animal exhibits including two
excellent giant panda exhibits. The Sea Jelly Spectacular is a must see too.
Don't miss out on the dolphin and sea lion shows at the Ocean Theatre.
This park is huge and attractions are spread out so be sure to bring a
stroller for your toddlers. Strollers are also available for rent at the
main entrance of the park. If you are pooped, check out the cable car rides that offers great
views over the whole park!
Cultural Activities + China Country Facts + Country Games + Coloring + Fun Quizzes and more for kids 4-13!
More Fun Things to Do in Hong Kong with Kids
- Your kids will have a great time going for Yum Cha where you eat Dim Sum. This is a must do in Hong Kong with kids! Holy Yum! The waiters will pass by your table with carts loaded with baskets filled with bite-sized food, don't worry it is not as scary as it looks! The food is usually steamed or fried. Keep choosing dishes as the carts pass by and until everyone is full! These restaurants are usually quite busy and noisy! Tea is served as well. Some of the yummiest Dim Sum (in my opinion)
Char siu baau: Steamed rice bun stuffed with BBQ pork.
Cheong fun: Fried rice noodles stuffed with beef or shrimp topped with sesame seeds.
Lou mai gai: Glutinous rice wrapped in a lotus leaf stuffed with pork and water chestnuts.
Cheun gyun: Spring rolls filled with vegetables,meat or seafood.
Dan tat: Pastry filled with sweet egg custard
Mong guo bo din: Mango pudding with pieces of mango and topped with evaporated milk.
This is one of the most delicious things to eat in Hong Kong with kids! Check out more Chinese food here!
- Jump on the double decker bus and head out to Stanley Market. Keep an eye out on your way for the building with a hole in it. This building was designed with Feng Shui in mind and the hole is so the dragon that is said to live behind does not get his head trapped! Children will have a great time spending their allowance on the toys and gadgets. Teenagers will enjoy checking out the jewelry and clothes. There are lots of souvenirs here too! One of the best souvenirs is to have your kids names carved in Chinese on a marble seal (chop) that they can dip in ink to print their name. Super fun!
- Escape the crowded streets and head to the beach at Repulse Bay. Children will adore cooling off in the refreshing waters and playing in the sands. The waters are shallow so it's a good option for toddlers and small kids too. Grab an ice cream from one of the local vendors! This is close by to Stanley Market so you might want to combine these two if you are short on time!
- If you have a science loving kids don't miss the super cool Science Museum With loads of interactive exhibits for your children to explore, including a car driving simulation and flight simulator you are sure to have hours of fun here! Little scientists will also enjoy seeing the world's biggest energy machine with rolling balls that demonstrate kinetic energy. There are lots of live demonstrations going on all the time so you can have a really interactive experience! Learn more.
- A visit to Hong Kong Park is another great thing to do. It is a great place to visit with babies and toddlers (though not stroller friendly as there are lots of steps). Your kids will enjoy playing with their new friends at the huge playground, exploring the bird aviary, ponds and look out tower. You can easily spend a few hours here!
- A visit to Mong Kok is one of the must see attraction in Hong Kong with kids. This area is filled with several lively markets selling everything imaginable. Children will love strolling through the gold fish market and seeing fish of all shapes and sizes hanging from plastic bags and bowls. The flower market is beautiful with the beautiful aromas flowing to the streets! Very colourful and super cheap! There are also markets selling children's clothes, toys and stickers. If you love shopping or browsing for trinkets this is the place to go!!
- Head to Victoria Harbour one evening to see the dazzling 'A Symphony of Lights' show where your family can watch the colorful light show on the skyscraper. It is synchronized to music and starts at 8pm each evening. Your teenagers will enjoy a stroll along the Avenue of Stars where they can check out the plaques honoring Jackie Chan, Bruce Lee and other stars. There is even a Jackie Chan gift shop here!
- Spend a few hours exploring Hong Kong Bay in search of the beautiful pink dolphins. Your family will learn all about these dolphins from the guides on the many boat tours in the area! This is not to be missed as seeing dolphins in the wild is something you'll remember for a lifetime!
- Another really fun thing to do is to take a ride on the Star Ferry. Enjoy a ride across the harbor from Hong Kong to Kowloon where you can see the amazing (yes it really is!) Hong Kong skyline. If you are there in late November or December you are in for a real treat as the skyline is totally decorated for Christmas with light displays galore! No one does Xmas quite like Hong Kong! You will see the harbor crawling with boats, yachts and stunning Chinese junks. The Star Ferry is a re-creation of a double decker boat from the 1920's complete with sailors in traditional uniforms -a must do in Hong Kong with kids!
- Have a sumptuous seafood dinner aboard the Jumbo Floating Restaurant in Hong Kong Harbour. You will love seeing this beautiful boat all lit up at night. The kids will have a great time looking at all the fish in the tanks. One of the things you will enjoy in Hong Kong with kids!
So what did you think about our top best things to do in Hong Kong with kids? Read about other Asian holidays here!
More articles to help you plan!
Return to Top of Page
China and Hong Kong