FREE printable luggage tags for the kids when you sign up for our newsletter! Plus we share our best travel tips!
Puerto Vallarta Family Activities
Things to do in Puerto Vallarta with Kids
Puerto Vallarta is one of our favourite spots to visit in Mexico with kids! Although the beaches aren't quite as nice as in Cancun-the sunsets are spectacular and there are loads of fun things to do. We loved the cobble stone streets in the Romantic part of town, and walking the malecon each night. We stayed in a couple of great family hotels in Puerto Vallarta right in the middle of the action and loved eating out for each meal with hundreds of delicious restaurants to choose from!
We found Puerto Vallarta to be a great value and an excellent choice for a cheap family holiday. We took the bus everywhere-very easy to use and get around and you can't beat the street side tacos for less than a $1.
The Best Things to Do In Puerto Vallarta With Kids
- Of course you can't go all the way to Puerto Vallarta and not visit the beach! The kids will love a banana boat ride , hunting for shells buying trinkets from the vendors and more. Don't forget to pack the sand buckets and sun screen! While the beaches are not quite as pretty as in Cancun and the Mayan Riviera, the sunsets more than make up for it.
- Your kids will be thrilled with a Canopy Adventure
high above the jungle floor. Explore the treetop pathways and zipline
from platform to platform. There is also a crazy ladder to climb and you
can also rappel down. Kids must be 8 years old (4 feet tall) to
- If you are traveling from December to March don't miss out on a whale watching
tour. Don't miss this fun thing to do in Puerto Vallarta. This is fun
for all ages as you head out to Banderas Bay to see the whales playing
in the waters. We did a DIY tour by taking the bus all the way to Punta Mita and hired a small panga to take us snorkelling at the Marieta Islands and see the whales. We loved this-being in a small boat just us the boat captain and our guide and seeing the Marieta Island us close and wandering the sea in search of the whales!
- The Puerto Vallarta Botanical Garden
are located up in the Sierra Madre mountains. Your whole family will
love the beautiful flowers, exploring the nature paths, seeing the
tropical birds and taking a dip in the crystal clear river. We took the bus out here and enjoyed a lovely day exploring the many trails and soaking up the view along the river. My teenagers loved hanging out on the comfy day beds and catching some rays. My daughter had a blast feeding the fish. We had lunch at the restaurant and it was delicious-lovely Mexican food served with a beautiful view.
- Go horse back riding in the jungles near Puerto Vallarta with Rancho El Charro. This ranch offers several child friendly tours. The kids will love riding their horses through the paths to the waterfalls where everyone can take a dip in the cool waters.
- We spent a fantastic day with Unique ATV tours. I had immediately regretted booking this after my son roped me into it-but it turned out to be one of the best tours we've ever done! We road through quiet towns, along a breathtakingly beautiful river, through the jungle and through some puddles! Drivers must be at least 16 years of age. We stopped for a drink by a waterfall, lunch at a roadside restaurant and did the ubiquitous tequila tasting. Highly recommend this!
- Enjoy the delicious
Mexican food for kids.
It isn't generally spicy when served. You can add spice to it with
condiments. Tacos, burritos, enchiladas and more. There is lots of fresh
fruit available like mangoes, papayas, pineapples and melon. We loved eating out at the restaurants in the Romantic Zone. The al Pastor tacos, fresh guacamole and chiles rellanos were a hit!!
- Aquaventuras water park has 10 water slide, swimming areas and children's play areas.
- Head by catamaran to Las Caletas
which is a private beach offering lots of fun in the sun. The kids
adventure tour includes a specially designed kids canopy with ziplines, a
tarzan swing, climbing net and more. You can also snorkel, kayak, visit
with the parrots or even take a Paella cooking class. This is one of the must do
family Puerto Vallarta activities.
- Head to the Malecon and take a stroll on the boardwalk. Sunday is family day where you can enjoy street performers, sand castles sculptures, local Mexican art work, street food and more. Every night we would stroll the malecon, enjoy the cool breeze and shop for souvenirs, enjoy a drink, ice cream or crepe along the way. Every night there were human sculptures, live shows, artist at work and more to enjoy!
- If your family is in Puerto Vallarta from July to November then you can take part in the sea turtle protection program. The eggs from the Banderas Bay beaches are collected and incubated. Once the baby sea turtle is born it is brought back to the beach where you child can interact with a baby turtle. As is local custom your child can name their turtle and then carefully release them in the sand.
- Go for a stroll on the Rio Cuale River Walk when you are on your Puerto Vallarta family vacation. Here you can check out the local vendors and restaurants. Your kids will love seeing the iguanas and parrots living in the trees.
Return to Top of Page