Things To Do In Crete With Kids
- Visit a fish spa or take a cooking class are some of the things to do in Crete with kids. Crete is the biggest of the Greek Islands and one of the most popular family travel destinations in Greece. It has beautiful beaches, quaint villages and lots of interesting attractions for children of all ages.
If you are traveling with a baby or toddler bring your own diapers as they are quite expensive on the island. A lightweight umbrellas stroller will work well on the roads. Your baby will get plenty of attention from the friendly locals!
18 Fun Things to Do In Crete
- Balos Lagoon is worth the effort to get there! You will have a long drive down a bumpy unpaved road and a bit of a hike over rocky terrain to reach it. Once there you can enjoy the gorgeous crystal clear waters and sandy beaches. The water is shallow-great for children of all ages. There are boat tours that visit here as well. Facilities are limited so best to pack a picnic lunch and drinks to bring with you!
- A visit to Aquaworld Aquarium is one of the best things to do in Crete with kids. Located in Hersonissos this aquarium is home to pythons, crocodiles, octopuses, giant tortoises and more! It is small and interactive with opportunities for the kids to hold and feed several inhabitants. The staff are very friendly and informative. You can return multiple times on your holidays once you purchase your initial entrance.
- Elafonissi Beach is one of the best beaches in Crete for kids. Not only is it stunningly beautiful with pink sand and turquoise waters. The water is shallow making it great for babies, toddlers and children. There is change facilities, toilets, snack bar and umbrella and chair rentals.
- A visit to the small village of Sasteria is one of the unique things to do in Crete with kids. This charming couple will be your hosts. Your children will love seeing and learning about the planets and stars in the garden observatory. You can also have art lessons here or take guided walks. Accommodations can be arranged as well.
- Be sure to sample the tasty Greek food for kids when you are traveling to Crete. Fresh seafood dishes, souvlaki and flaky stuffed pies will be a hit with the kids.
- Take a cooking class in the quaint village of Vamos. Your older children and teenagers will love learning the secret Cretan recipes. Fritters, stews, omelette's and more can be on the menu! Best part of all is you get to enjoy your delicious dishes after!
- Cretan Olive Oil Farm offers tours of their facilities. Your kids can learn all about this important Greek product. Your children will love seeing the donkey, rabbits and dog. They have a wine press here and everyone can jump in and stomp away with their feet. There are pottery and traditional weaving demonstrations too. Great place to buy souvenirs to bring back home.
- Visit the Fish Spa in Chania Town for a laugh with the kids. Dip your feet in the tanks and the small Garra Rufa fish will nibble the dead skin off for you. It is a very strange sensation and one of the fun Crete family attractions!
- Lychnostatis Open Air Museum is an interesting Crete family attraction. There is lots to see and do here. Visit the traditional farmhouse, chapel, windmill, ceramic workshop, gardens and theatre. They have various children's programs.
- Lake Kournas is the only freshwater lake in Crete. Rent a pedal boat or canoes for a great day out in Crete with your children. The waters are crystal clear and there is a pebbled beach. Several cafes and restaurants are nearby.
- There are several boat tours offering day trips to Spinalongo Island. You will have beautiful views of the waters on the ride there. There is an ancient fortress that the kids will have a great time exploring. stop off for a dip in the sea with the kids. Many tour operators provide a lunch.
- A Glass Bottom Boat ride is one of the best things to do in Crete with kids. Babies, toddlers and children will all enjoy seeing the underwater life.
- Cretaquarium is a modern aquarium located in Heraklion, Crete. Your toddlers and children will have a great time seeing the sand sharks, octopus, seahorses, lobsters and turtles here. Great place to escape the heat and enjoy the air conditioning. Kids will love the microscopes to see the small creatures up close.
- The Museum Of Cretan Ethnology is one of the interesting Crete family attractions. Your family can see exhibits on the handicrafts of Crete, the food, transport and customs of the island. It is located in the small town of Vori.
- Arion Stables is a wonderful place to visit in Crete with kids. Your family can enjoy horseback riding through the olive groves, villages or along the beach! Or enjoy a horse carriage ride for the whole family. The stables are well kept and horses well cared for. Your children will enjoy seeing the goats, donkeys and dogs and playing on the playground. This is one of the best things to do in Crete with kids.
- If your children have not explored a cave before then head to Sfendoni Cave where you can join a guided tour. Learn all about the stalagmites and stalactites that hang from the ceiling. It is more than 500 meters long and has 14 different halls to explore.
- A visit to Limnoupolis Water Park in Chania is fun for the whole family. It is a rather small park with several slides, lazy rivers and children's pool areas.
- Water City in Anopolis is a huge water park with slides and pools for all ages. Toddlers and babies will love the mini slides and water playground. Older kids and teenagers will love the thrilling water slides and lazy river.
So what did you think about our Things to do in Crete guide?
Plan your Greece holidays here:
Return to Top of Page