FREE printable luggage tags for the kids when you sign up for our newsletter! Plus we share our best travel tips!
Things to Do in Santorini with Kids
Yes-you should visit Santorini with your children! There are plenty of things to do in Santorini with kids. You've seen those unforgettable photos of this picturesque Greek island-don't miss out on experiencing this amazing spot with your children.
While it is true that most tourists traveling to the island are honeymooners, couples, college students or cruise ship travelers-there are family friendly attractions to keep everyone entertained.
Toddlers will love riding the cable car up the cliffs and splashing in the waters at the beach. Your children will have a great time at the water park and hiking up the active volcano! Teenagers will love a night out at the open air theater.
Santorini Island Family Attractions
- Enjoy a sailing tour of Santorini and enjoy the incredible blue waters, see picturesque fishing villages and check out the nearby islands, swim in the cool waters. A great day out for the family in Santorini. There are lots of different tour operators offering these cruises often with a lunch or dinner included.
- Watch a flick at the Open Air Theater. Just like in the ancient Greek times the theaters are open roofed. Kids will love watching the movie under the stars! There is a snack bar to get some treats. Movies are usually in English with Greek subtitles. They start at 9:30 pm.
- Red Beach is an unusual beach in Santorini with dramatic red volcanic cliffs and red sand. The water is very calm. It is a bit of a rocky downward hike to get to the beach however so you will need to hang on tight to your children's hands. There are beach chairs and umbrellas for rent.
- Perissa Beach has black sand and lovely clear waters to swim in. There are several tavernas to grab a bite to eat. There are vendors selling knick knacks and beach chairs and umbrellas for rent.
- There is a small Water Park at the Perissa Beach with a few slides and several pools to enjoy. This is a great way to beat the heat!
- Hike to the top of the active volcano with your children. It is not an easy hike so better suited for active families with older kids and teenagers. Check out the lava flows along the way, see the steam rising from the crater and enjoy amazing views of Santorini. After enjoy a swim in the hot springs fed heated from the volcano. You will need to join a tour which will include a boat ride over.
- Amoudi Bay is one of the most beautiful areas of Santorini. Head here if you are traveling with older kids and teenagers. There are quite a number of steep steps to access the bay. Although there is no sand or beach, the water is a beautiful turquoise blue. There is a huge boulder you can swim out to with a little church on it that you can jump off! There are several seaside restaurants offering fresh fish! Great place to watch the sunset and see the fisherman bringing in their catches for the day.
- Visit the ruins of Ancient Thera with the kids. You can hike up the hill (takes about an hour and is quite steep and slippery in some spots) or drive or take a taxi up to the top. The site is quite large, though not well signed. You will have great views from up here. Go early to avoid the heat. It is closed on Mondays.
- Don't miss out on the Greek food for kids on your travels to Santorini. There are many restaurants offering gyros and souvlaki. Fresh calamari is also a good option for the kids.
- Take the Cable Car from the cruise port up the cliff into Fira. Amazing views and lots of fun for your children. There are donkeys available for the ride up as well however avoid them as they are rumored to not be treated humanely.
More Greece Family Travel Articles:
Return to Top of Page