FREE printable luggage tags for the kids when you sign up for our newsletter! Plus we share our best travel tips!
Things To Do In Lisbon with Kids
Best Family Attractions In Portugal
- Lisbon has quite a few `must do` attractions. Babies and toddlers will enjoy the zoo. Children will love riding the vintage trams and visiting the Oceanarium. Teenagers will have a great time at the Gulbenkiam Museum where they can see artifacts from Portugal and all over the world.
Lisbon is a hilly city with lots of winding, narrow cobblestone roads. You will need to plan your routes accordingly and hold your children's hands when walking on some of the high traffic streets.
If you are traveling in Lisbon with a baby or toddler you need a stroller with big wheels to maneuver the streets and sidewalks. A baby carrier or baby knapsack is best for exploring some areas and riding the trams. Diapers can be found in the pharmacies as well as the grocery stores in the shopping malls. Formula and baby food is also available but may not be the brands your baby is used to.
The weather in Lisbon is quite mild. The summers are sunny and warm. Winters are mild and rainy. Book your hotel here. Try the delicious Portuguese food.
Top 10 Things To Do In Lisbon With Kids
- Head to Belem which is a charming Lisbon neighborhood. It is an easy 20 minute tram ride from central Lisbon. Here you can explore the Belem Tower (steep stairs to climb) and the 16th-century Monastery of St Jerome (both world heritage sites). Take a walk through the park, check out the Discovery Monument and watch the yachts. Don't miss the free Berardo Museum which showcasing contemporary art including Warhols and Picassos. But the best reason to visit Belem with kids is the famous pastries. Stop by the cafe for a handmade custard Pastais de Nata which is made from a recipe from the 1800's. Delicious!
- The Gulbenkian Museum is one of the interesting things to do in Lisbon with kids. It houses a private collection which included works by Monet, Renoir, and Manet in the art gallery. The museum contains artifacts including jewelry, coins, fabrics and sculptures from Egypt, Greece, Persia and China. Children will also enjoy the lovely gardens with a duck pond. Pack some water paints and modeling clay so the kids can create their own masterpieces back at the hotel. Entrance is free on Sundays.
- Oceanarium is one of the best things to do in Lisbon with kids. There is a huge aquarium filled with colorful fish, octopus, coral, stingrays and more! You could watch this tank for hours! This is one of the world's biggest aquariums. There is also a penguin exhibit and otter exhibit. This is a great spot to visit with babies and toddlers!
- Take a day trip to Cascais which is a lovely seaside fishing village. Children will love playing on the sandy beaches and strolling the cobblestone streets. There are some great restaurants here serving fresh seafood dishes and souvenir shops. You can catch the train at Cais Do Sodre train station (tickets are cheap!) and take about 40 minutes from Lisbon. There are some lovely parks to play in too!
- Escape the city and visit Monsanto Park. There are several playgrounds, recreation centers, a horseback riding center and several hiking trails. It is located about 15 minutes drive from the city center.
- Tram 28 is one of the fun things to do in Lisbon with kids. Lisbon is very hilly so what better way to explore the narrow winding streets but on a vintage tram! You can purchase tickets at the Metro stations that allow unlimited use of the trams and metro in a 24 hour period or you can purchase tickets on the tram. You can explore the old neighborhoods or head to St George Castle. It can get quite crowded at times so watch for pickpockets.
- Head to St George Castle by taking Tram 28 to the charming neighborhood of Alfama. Your family can enjoy great views of Lisbon from up here. The ruins of the castle are not stroller friendly. There is quite a bit of climbing required here and uneven steps so better for older kids and teenagers. Children will love the gardens with peacocks in them! Alfama is a nice place to explore with several restaurants and narrow cobblestone streets. Sidewalks are uneven or non-existent so again not stroller friendly. If traveling with a baby or toddler -a baby knapsack would be ideal.
- The Lisbon Zoo is one of the fun things to do in Lisbon with kids. There is plenty of animals here including tigers, monkeys and elephants. Children will love the cable car ride where you can see the animals from above. Your babies and toddlers will enjoy the dolphin and sea lion show. Don't miss the pelican and sea lion feedings where you can help feed them! There is a children's farm as well!
- There are many tasty dishes to sample on your Lisbon family trip. Roasted chicken with piripiri, fresh seafood dishes, and those yummy custard pastries are some of the best Portuguese food for kids to sample!
- Go for stroll at Parque das Nacoes along the Lisbon waterfront. The Oceanarium is here. You can take cable cars to enjoy the views along the waterfront. There is also an observation tower and lots of restaurants. There are some pretty gardens to enjoy and your toddlers and children will love the exploding water volcano fountains!
More European holiday ideas here!
More articles to help you plan!
Return to Top of Page