FREE printable luggage tags for the kids when you sign up for our newsletter! Plus we share our best travel tips!
Planning Budget Family Vacations?
Tips for Saving Money on a Trip
Family travel doesn't have to break the bank. Exciting budget family
vacations are possible in most destinations around the world. Use these
family vacation money saving tips below to plan a wonderful trip with
- Consider the total cost of the trip when choosing a
destination. For example the flights to Asia may be expensive but there
are many budget friendly Asian countries with cheap accommodations,
sightseeing and dining.
- When booking flights check the
total price for the adults and kids when comparing prices as some
charter flights do not give a child discount. It may end up being
cheaper to pay a higher adult fare if the kids are getting a discount.
if you can book an open jaw ticket where you fly into one city and out
of another. This way you can see 2 destinations and you only need to pay
to travel one way.
- Travel during the low season or shoulder season to get deeply discounted prices on hotels.
you are booking a budget family vacation package look for deals where
the kids stay free. Early bird or last minute travel specials can save
you a lot of money.
- You can save a lot of money by
skimping on accommodations. Look for somewhere that is affordable, clean
and safe so you can spend more money on sightseeing and activities.
- Hostels often have low cost family rooms with private bathrooms and can be a fun economical place to stay.
- Stay in a holiday apartment or hotel room with a kitchenette so you can save money by cooking some meals.
some groceries at your destination to save some money. Look for a hotel
room with a fridge so you can stock up on drinks and snacks. Breakfast
can easily be made with fresh fruits, baked goods or cereal.
- Eat where the locals eat. Food is often tastier and much cheaper then in restaurants geared for tourists.
your transportation costs when picking a hotel. Look for somewhere
centrally located with lots to do within walking distance or somewhere
close to public transport.
- It is often cheaper to hire a taxi for your family for the day and a lot more flexible rather than doing organized tours.
- Look for activities that are free for the kids or give a child's
discount. Some cities offer free museum entrances on certain days. Check
if there is any combination ticket packages that give you entrance to
multiple sites for a lower rate.
- Check out the local parks
for a free or low cost activity. Your kids will have a blast making new
friends and trying out the playground equipment.
- Book overnight flights or train travel to save the cost of a nights hotel.
all your toiletries such as shampoo, toothpaste, sunscreen, bug spray
from home. If you forget to pack these you may have to pay the expensive
resort or hotel pricing.
- Pick up dinner and bring it
back to the hotel. Save money on drinks (buy at a grocery store) and
- Avoid expensive room service or mini bar.
Also read about:
Return to Top of Page
Cheap Holiday Tips
Budget Family Vacation