Auckland with Kids
Auckland is a very child-friendly city with plenty to see and do both indoors and out.
Here are the top 10 things to see and do with kids in Auckland, New Zealand.
Read more about New Zealand family travel here.
Don't forget to try the yummy food in New Zealand too-our favorites are here!
Read more about Australia and other Oceania destinations here
- Auckland Zoo -On Motions Road you can visit this large zoo with eight habitat areas. Kids can meet and greet the creatures up close at Zoo Encounters with the Zoo keepers throughout the day. Read more here.
- Kelly Tarlton's Sea Life Aquarium -This animal attraction also has eight areas which include the largest penguin colony in the world, the biggest stingray species in the world and the country's largest herd of sharks. The Aquarium is at 23 Tamaki Drive. Read more here.
- Rainbow's End Theme Park -New Zealand's most popular amusement park with all the thrills and spills you would expect including bumper cars, a pirate ship, roller coasters, go-carts, carousels, Fear Fall and more. The attraction is located on the corner of Great South and Wiri Station Road, Manakau. Read more here.
- Sheepworld -With more sheep than people it's only natural that New Zealand would have an attraction dedicated to these farm animals. Here kids can see sheepdogs in action, sheep shearing, the baby lambs being fed and learn about making wool and New Zealand farming. This attraction is at 324 State Highway 1, Dome Valley. Read more here.
- Tree Adventures - Set within the treetops of the beautiful Woodhill
Forest, you'll find an adventure wonderland waiting to be conquered.
With 10 unique courses, ranging from 2m to 14m above the forest floor
there is something for novices through to hardened adrenaline junkies.
- Spookers -The theme of this haunted attraction is everything scary and spooky, monsters, blood and guts, freaks and fiends. Excellent make-up, sound and visual effects are used to scare the visitors. Friday and Saturday nights are reserved for over 16-year-olds. During the school holidays and on Saturdays you can take the kids along between 11am and 4pm for the Taste of Terror package. The site is recommended for kids over 8 years old and the park is at 833 Kingseat Road. Read more here.
- Museum of Transport and technology -Kids will love the display of steam trains, old phones, bikes, cars and airplanes. The aviation collection is considered one of the best in the world. Many of the exhibits are interactive and kids can pretend to drive some of the vehicles.
- Sky Tower -Take the kids 328 meters above the ground in New Zealand's tallest man made structure where you can see across the city and beyond. There are glass fronted elevators and once at the top three observation decks. Mom and dad can step out for a SkyWalk or do the SkyJump!
- Boat or Ferry Rides -Take a cruise out on the Waitemata Harbour and around the Hauraki Gulf islands. You can take the Devonport ferry (from Queen Street) or try one of the other boat cruise companies like Red Boats.
- Train Rides -There are several interesting miniature trains in and around Auckland which go through beautiful countryside. The Whangaparoa Narrow Gauge Railway travels through native bush where you can feed animals.
- The Waitakere Tram Line is a 1.5 hour ride on another narrow gauge train through the bush; at Panmure Basin Miniature trains on Peterson Road kids (and adults) can play with and ride a range of miniature trains on Sundays.
- Also on Sundays the Manukau Live Steamers and diesel trains leave from Centre Park and the Glenbrook Vintage Railway takes you from Glenbrook Station Road through Farm Park where you can see lots of animals.
Other Oceania Destinations
Return to Top of Page